Saturday, February 12, 2011

Winter Wonderland?


I hate winter. We were asked to reflect on what the cold feels like and what it looks like, but I find myself just waiting for it to melt away into warmth. It seems like I'm willing to love the environment and do anything I can for it: but there's a catch. Only when it's warm out, or only when it's pretty out, or only when I'm having fun outside. But it shouldn't be like that. I should accept the environment for everything that it is: ever-changing, beautiful at all times, surrounding, and giving. When we were outside "being still", I really just wanted to be inside and all I could think was "cold, cold, cold, cold" and "hate, hate, hate, hate". I took a few pictures of my backyard, and I think it's really cool how the snow piles up. Billions upon billions of snowflakes just pile into a drift. It's so pretty (until you get out into the -40 weather).

Here is what I wrote down on a piece of paper during class that day after we were asked to reflect on our time being still:
"Cold. Cold. Cold. So cold. Cold. Cold. Cold. COLD. So very cold.

I started to think about home, and how much I wanted to be there. I tried the whole: 'You're on a hot beach laying in the sun' thing, but my mind kept going to 'I AM SO COLD, this is worst class in the world!'.

I thought about how the snow is the Earth and the snowflakes are the people. We cover the Earth. But unlike snowflakes, we are not just still and calm. We are menacing.

Cold. Cold. Cold. Cold."

Always reflecting,

Shelby.

No comments:

Post a Comment